Subscribe Blog

Mar 20

National Poison Prevention Week

Posted by Tehachapi Pet Lodge on Sunday, March 20, 2016

The third week of March is National Poison Prevention Week so let's take a moment to review at some of the toxic and dangerous things your pets can get into. Below are a few categories and items you should consider when caring for your cats and dogs at home.

Dinner Scraps and Snacks

Are you ever tempted to throw your pet scraps from your dinner plate? If so, make sure you know what foods can be toxic to them. Chocolate is one of the most toxic foods for pets, especially dark chocolate. Other dangerous foods include raisins, macadamia nuts, candy, and foods with xylitol. To be on the safe side, keep all the sweets out of your pet’s reach.


If you have a rodent problem in your home, Tehachapi Veterinary Hospital discourages the use of rodenticides, due to the risk of accidental poisoning for your pet. There are several humane ways to get rid of rodents and keep your pets safe. One method involves the electronic unit that emits a beeping sound that repels rodents. 

Lawn Fertilizers

Fertilizer can do wonders for lawns, but it can wreak havoc for pets. Most fertilizers contain toxic substances, and if a pet walks on recently fertilized lawn and licks their paws, they can indirectly ingest these toxins. Lawn fertilizer poisoning can result in upset stomach, drooling, nausea, or pancreatitis. Remember to always read your lawn fertilizer label thoroughly or use a pet-friendly product instead.

Toxic Plants

Now that it’s spring, it’s important to be mindful of the plants that can be toxic to pets. American holly, lilies, and mistletoe in oak trees are among the plants that have been known to cause sickness in dogs and cats in our area, so it’s important to ensure your pet does eat any of these plants. For a more complete list download this helpful resource from the Humane Society of the U.S. or view this online tool to view toxic and non-toxic plants for dogs, cats and/or horses by the ASPCA.